NEW SESSION BEGINNING...

A new session of STAND will begin on Monday, September 14. For more information, please visit www.the52project.com and click on the links for "Stand." Our last session together was WONDERFUL... you won't want to miss this study!

Ready to jump in? Why not take a picture of your rainy day shoes (or you know... boots, flip-flops, bare feet... whatever!) E-mail your photo to the52project@gmail.com And we'll post them with your first name along the side-bar.

Can't wait to study with you!!!
Love, Mary

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What is it to be blessed? The first thing that comes to my mind is the amazing blessing to have the WORD revealed TO me and IN me by the power of the Holy Spirit. Why did He choose me? I will never know, all that I can say is that it is His AMAZING GRACE that looked on me in my sin and still loved me enough to send His Son to die in my place. With His help I will endeavour to live a life that brings glory to HIM. Then there are many other physical blessings that I could go on listing, but I would be here all day!

Who are the people that God calls blessed? Those who delight in the word and meditate upon it day and night. (Isn’t that what we are being encouraged to do through this site? Thank you for being a means by which God is blessing me!) We are truly blessed / happy when we do not find pleasure and fulfillment in the world’s ways or in fellowship with the wicked, but instead we are truly happy when we find pleasure in meditating on the WORD and the ways of God.

So, how are we happy? How does this happiness manifest itself in our every day lives? We are fruitful (v3). We should be refreshing and nourishing and awaken Spiritual life in those we fellowship with. Our words should be healing and convicting and encouraging and deepening and enlightening.

We are durable (v3). We do not get blown around by our circumstances, but delighting in the Word produces praise in the darkness of trials. Habakkuk 3:17-18: "Though the fig tree do not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation."

We will prosper (v3). I think this is primarily referring to Spiritual blessing although God can (and certainly does) bless physically. But we know in practice this is not always the case. We have sickness, financial difficulties, heartaches of all kinds, but the key is looking at the end. When it comes to judgment we will be the ones that will STAND (v4-6), clothed in Christ’s righteousness. Our trials are to make us stronger, so really they are blessings in disguise! They are to make us lean harder on Him and to purify us. They are to make us more Christ-like.

So what is God definition of the blessed person? To be truly happy I believe that our life should be nourishing and fruitful for others, a life that is deeply durable in the face of drought and a life whose "labor is not in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58), but succeeds in God's good purposes into eternity. That's the blessing of delighting in the Word of God and meditating on it day and night.

Love, Sam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam! Thanks for sharing. I love what you said about us being truly blessed when we do not have fellowship with wickedness - how true that is! - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam (I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!! ) I love the way you used the word "durable." With God's blessings.. we are durable. We can really stand then...
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete