NEW SESSION BEGINNING...

A new session of STAND will begin on Monday, September 14. For more information, please visit www.the52project.com and click on the links for "Stand." Our last session together was WONDERFUL... you won't want to miss this study!

Ready to jump in? Why not take a picture of your rainy day shoes (or you know... boots, flip-flops, bare feet... whatever!) E-mail your photo to the52project@gmail.com And we'll post them with your first name along the side-bar.

Can't wait to study with you!!!
Love, Mary

Friday, June 26, 2009

Thursday, June 25

ELOHI TSURI
My God My Rock.

For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? Psalm 18:31

"Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any. Isaiah 44:8

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2

From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. Psalm 61:2-3

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the [Rock of my heart] and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

God is God. He is in control. He is intimate. He is the Rock of your heart.

It is a good day. His character... is so, so very good. Stop and thank Him!


Lauren and Amy summed up yesterday's question so well... if you weren't able to join in yesterday please take a moment to go back to their discussion input. God is always near, but the Psalmist was addressing his very valid feelings. Why then, does God sometimes feel far off? I think Charles Spurgeon expresses an interesting take on it... it hit home for me anyway! He is addressing the Lord's discipline, but I am quite sure it applies to other very difficult situations as well. What do you think?

"Should the parent comfort His child when He is correcting him, where would be the use of the chastening? A smiling face and a rod are not fit companions. God bares the back that the blow may be felt; for it is only felt affliction which can become blest affliction. If we are carried in the arms of God over every stream, where would be the trial, and where the experience, which trouble is mean to teach us?" - Charles Spurgeon

The Psalmist expresses legitimate feelings... but takes captive every thought with what he knows as the Psalm progresses.

But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless. (v.14)

The Lord is King for ever and ever; the nations will perish from His land. You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more. (v. 16-18)

Are your feet planted on the Rock? Do you often find yourself struggling to deal with situations... or are you ever aware that the Lord is equipping you now when you seek Him... that He's already equipped you for today? Can you face the reality of your circumstances and combine it with the reality of your God? Do you want to better understand how this can happen? God is real. He is so strong. Yes it is true. Please e-mail me any time for questions or more about how to know Him this way!

I'd like to throw another discussion question out there about a phrase we often read in the Psalms. Please go ahead and jump in here!! These are just thoughts... ponderings... we're all on the same page here! And we'll keep digging until we understand. Please Read Psalm 18.

Then go back and focus on Psalm 18:25-29. Very often the Psalmists express God's blessings on their lives for being "blameless". David... and a former adulterer... expresses a pretty strong word here... and so many times throughout the Psalms.

FOR DISCUSSION: How can we... all born with a sin nature... ever be blameless? What does it mean to be without blame? What are the sacrifices God requires? He is the "Rock of our Hearts." What does He require?

[Jesus said] "Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great." Luke 6:47-49

Today's discussion below... in... uuuuuugh.... PEPTOBISMAL PINK. Just for Lauren. I love her that much. Don't say I never did anything for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment